Friday, March 6, 2009

Interesting Books

I must recommend two books. How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer is a well written book and goes into the latest research in neuroscience on how our brains work. The areas of the brain involved in decision making. Emotions and rationality working together or at odds in our brains leading to bad decisions. Insights into belief and how that influences our decisions. This is a must read for those that have been dumbfounded as I have been over why some people will not recognize evidence or why some people even very bright ones make the dumbest mistakes. I highly recommend it. Another book; Losing My Faith How I Lost My Faith Reporting on Religion in America and Found Unexpected Peace by William Lobdell is what I call one of those books that you just can't put down. If you have been struggling with the inconsistencies in religion and just didn't want to leave the warm comfort of religion then this book will tell you that you are not alone. It is well written in narrative style by one of the leading reporters that has been on America's religion beat. He relates in personal terms his finding Jesus and then losing Jesus. For those of us that no longer believe in religion it remarkable parallels our own journey through the desire to believe and hypocrisy of religion. I highly recommend this book to help you understand your own struggles, or if you are a believer to understand those of us who have lost it.
Tonight is Skeptic Meeting at 7 PM and the second episode of The Genius of Darwin.

Peace
Skeptical DoDo
S

No comments: