Monday, March 8, 2010

Astrology

It is common knowledge among skeptics is that there is a stupid page in the newspapers. It is called the Horoscope. I have been noticing lately on Facebook also people are now posting their astrological sign. I can't tell if they really believe this bilge or it is just fun. The problem with some fun is it in itself becomes serious among the less sophisticated in our society. Astrology or asstrology is still alive and well here in Minot also. I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and among the new age baloney, religion baloney, alternative medicine baloney I found comfortably between books and a foot pad on reflexology books on astrology. Yes, you to can calculate your own and become a woo merchant. There is no single bit of evidence, nada, not one, that the stars have anything to do with your love life or anything else here on earth. Pick up any two papers or horoscopes and read the one for the same sign and you will get two different interpretations. Carl Sagan showed this wonderfully on his Cosmos series, as did Penn and Teller BS, etc. But, now on facebook I see it everyday and coming from my friends? I thought I had smarter friends than that. Guess not. Well it gives grist to the poke fun at mill.

Peace
Skeptical DoDo

No comments: