Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Blizzard Read

I finished a book on my new nook over this "UnGodly" Christmas of O9. It is "The Theory of Almost Everything by Robert Oerter. I would rank it very highly for the most understandable of the treatises I have read about the Standard Model in Physics. It talks about relativistic quantum field theories, particles etc, in a manner that was at least partly comprehensiable by me a non quantum mechanics kind of guy. No mathematics involved, except on the periphery. It included the giants of the last century, Einstein, Heisenberg, Planck, Feynnman etc. It developed the current working theory historically and it flowed. I claim now that at least I have some better idea of how it works, but as someone said; "If you say you understand quantum mechanics, you dont understand it." It goes into the problems with the theory and current work on tackling those problems, like string theory, and the Large Haldron Collider at Cern. It definitely was not boring to read, I must admit. So it goes on the recommended read list. The sun is shinning and the snow is for now stopped and the roads are passable. Remember our upcoming meeting at 7 PM at CFM Monday night 1/4/10. Science and Spirituality.

Peace
Skeptical DoDo

No comments: